I love the holiday season. I might be hard pressed to find someone who doesn’t.
But sometimes the holidays can be overwhelming. With all we try to cram into each day, it can be easy to lose sight of why we celebrate the holidays in the first place.
This year, start some new traditions with your sweetie.
Simple holiday traditions can help you feel connected, not only to the holiday but, most importantly, to the ones you love most.
Here are 7 fun holiday traditions to share with your spouse this year. Make these traditions part of your annual celebration and you will be sure to stay connected despite the chaos that the season can bring.
1. Bask in the Glory of Holiday Lights. Christmas lights are a holiday tradition dating back to Thomas Edison and became an official holiday tradition in 1895.
Holiday lights are beautiful and can fill us with a sense of awe. Take some time to enjoy the hard work of your neighbors. Hop in the car with your sweetheart and take a drive around the neighborhood to appreciate the magic a simple strand of lights can bring.
2. Drink Cocoa by the Tree. If you celebrate the holidays by decorating the tree, you know how much work this can be. But, once the work is done, do you take the time to appreciate your efforts?
Warm up a cup of cocoa, top it with some mini marshmallows and cuddle by the tree. Take in the smell, reminisce, and relax. Don’t let your efforts only be enjoyed on Christmas Day.
3. Watch a Holiday Movie. Take some time to snuggle on the couch, put your feet up and share a blanket while you watch one of the many holiday classics. From the funny to the heartfelt, there is an endless array of movies to choose from. Take some time to unwind together and laugh or cry your way through your favorite holiday film.
4. Play Hooky. One of my very favorite things to do is to play hooky from work with my husband. There is something delicious about leaving work early, every now and then, to spend some time with my sweetie.
Take a day away from the usual grind to spend it enjoying some quality time while getting in some last minute shopping. Hold hands and stroll through the mall, pick up a holiday flavored coffee, and check everyone off your list. Fighting the crowds is way more fun if you have someone you love standing next to you.
5. Build a Gingerbread House. I know this tradition is usually reserved for the kids, but why is that? Shouldn’t the grown ups have fun too?
Together build a gingerbread house from scratch, or take the easy route and pick up a pre-made house at the store. Design a house that represents each of you by adding icing and your favorite candies. Display it proud for everyone to see. Each time you walk by you won’t be able to help but smile at what you created together.
6. Have a Sweetheart Christmas. Let’s face it, Christmas day can be hectic and exhausting. Opening gifts can be a whirlwind of tissue and paper and watching the clock to make sure you are on time to the next event.
One thing that my husband and I have done since we were teenagers, is have our own separate Sweetheart Christmas. On the night of the 25th, after all the hustle of the day has past and the kids are asleep, hubby and I light a fire, warm some cocoa and meet by the tree. It is only then that we exchange our gifts for each other.
This time has become a very special tradition for us. It gives us the ability to take our time opening each others gifts. It gives us time to breathe in the peace and gratitude that the holiday season brings. It gives us time to express our love and appreciation without feeling rushed.
These are precious moments for us. Celebrating Christmas together this way is the perfect way to wrap up the holidays.
7. Give Back. No matter where you live, you do not have to look far to find someone in need. The holidays are a time for giving and it’s the perfect time to reach out to someone who could use a helping hand.
Whether it be donating gifts, making a meal, or donating your time, make this a holiday project you and your sweetie do together. There is tremendous joy to be found in doing something kind for others.
Whatever you decide to do, take some time to enjoy the season together. Cuddle, take in the sights and smells, listen to music, and start some new traditions.
It only comes by once a year so don’t let this special time fly by without taking a few moments to relax and enjoy it together.